Forum Index

Converting the label file from RGB to CMYK for print shop

Post your technical support questions here.

Converting the label file from RGB to CMYK for print shop

Postby maz » Fri May 24, 2013 3:04 am

The print shop states that the colour of my label is in RGB, and he says it must be changed to CMYK for printing. He says conversion may result in a dulling of the colours (mainly the reds) and it's better if the images start life as CMYK - that way the colour stays as you want it. This is all new to me, so any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.
maz

Re: Converting Files to PDF

Postby Admin » Sun May 26, 2013 2:12 am

Hi,

Currently, AudioLabel creates all digital output in the RGB color space, so a file conversion is necessary to create labels in the CMYK color space.

To create a CMYK PDF file of your label design, you first need to create a CMYK TIFF file, and then convert it to a CMYK PDF file. Here are the steps:

1. Create a TIFF file using the "Save As Image" option in AudioLabel (AudioLabel creates RGB TIFF files).

2. Convert the RGB TIFF file to a CMYK TIFF file using the following online converter:

http://www.rgb2cmyk.org

3. Once you have the CMYK TIFF file, convert it to CMYK PDF file using the online PDF converter:

http://document.online-convert.com/convert-to-pdf

I've tested this exact process and the results are good; however, the online CMYK converter listed above has an 8 MB file size limit. It's easy to go over 8MB if your label design includes high quality images. If you need to convert larger files, then some image processing software will be needed. Ultimately, the best piece of software for this conversion is Adobe Photoshop (which every reputable print shop should own). If you run into problems, you might want to ask the print shop if they can do the conversion for you. If they're in the printing business, converting a high quality 600 DPI TIFF file should be easy for them (it takes about 30 seconds in Photoshop). If you know someone who owns Adobe Photoshop, I can list simple directions for converting these files.

Please let us know how it goes.
Admin

Postby maz » Mon May 27, 2013 4:50 am

Hi I tried that using the link provided but it's still showing as RGB...this is the reply I've had from the print shop

"I can get a CMYK equivalent on screen, but it’s showing RGB elements in the document.
Out of interest, does your software allow you to output the pdf in the format ‘x/1-a 2001’? This should sort the problem, as x/1-a doesn’t allow any RGB colours through to output. The other colour management profile to look for is FOGRA39, which is the industry-wide profile; if you can set up your document to this, it will match the profiles used in the plate-making and printing processes."

When I used the link you provided, it went through the process of converting but at the end it didn't come up with a result saying it had been successfully converted either, so I can only assume it didn't work.
Any help much appreciated.
maz

Postby Admin » Mon May 27, 2013 10:42 am

Hi,

The person at the print shop seems extremely knowledgeable in digital file formats, and the requirements needed for his company's printing processes. They also have good image processing software that can analyze and convert files.

Is it possible to have your print shop convert these files?
Admin

© 2024 CdCoverSoft